By default, Mac OS X uses a case-insensitive (but case-preserving) file system. Some users may choose to override this default and install their copy of OS X to a case-sensitive volume. This environmental configuration is not supported for Torchlight II, meaning that the game may not be directly installed to case-sensitive HFS+ file systems.
If this applies to your local environment and you have no control over changing this circumstance, you can take the following steps to get the game running if you have at least have access to a case-insensitive volume from your machine, typically a partition or other physical disk.
- If you have already installed Torchlight II, and encountered the error dialog relating to this issue, simply uninstall the game and then continue on.
- From the Steam client, locate Torchlight II in your game library. Right-click it and choose Install Game…
- From the installation dialog that appears next, find the Choose location for install dropdown and pick a location that is not case-sensitive.
- You may wish to create a SteamLibrary folder on this volume for organizational purposes. You will be prompted to do this while selecting a location.
- After creating the SteamLibrary folder, choose SELECT.
- Click through the remaining installation prompts to complete the installation.
In this example, the outcome is that your copy of Torchlight II will be installed to:
- /Volumes/[case insensitive volume]/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Torchlight II
Your save directories and settings_sdl2.txt file will be located in:
- /Volumes/[case insensitive volume]/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Torchlight II/my games/runic games/Torchlight 2/save/[your steam numeric id]
- /Volumes/[case insensitive volume]/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Torchlight II/my games/runic games/Torchlight 2/modsave/[your steam numeric id]
Additional settings and log files files will be located on the case-sensitive volume in:
- ~/Library/Application Support/Runic Games/Torchlight 2/